Thursday, March 26, 2015

Review: Sisters of Blood and Spirit

SISTERS OF BLOOD AND SPIRIT
Sisters of Blood and Spirit #1
Kady Cross
Paranormal Young Adult
288 pages
Harlequin Teen
Available March 31st
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Wren Noble is dead—she was born that way. Vibrant, unlike other dead things, she craves those rare moments when her twin sister allows her to step inside her body and experience the world of the living.

Lark Noble is alive but often feels she belongs in the muted Shadow Lands—the realm of the dead. Known as the crazy girl who talks to her dead sister, she doesn't exactly fit in with the living, though a recent suicide attempt and time in a psych ward have proved to her she's not ready to join her sister in the afterlife.

Now the guy who saved Lark's life needs her to repay the favor. He and his friends have been marked for death by the malevolent spirit of a vicious and long-dead serial killer, and the twins—who should know better than to mess with the dead—may be their only hope of staying alive.


MY THOUGHTS
Sisters of Blood and Spirit is entertaining from beginning to end, making us instantly protective of Lark as she returns to school after a stint in a mental institution thanks to a split second desire to join the twin sister no one else can see. Her classmates pounce immediately, poking at her sore spot with relish, but just as soon as our hackles rise at their mockery her sister Wren intervenes in all her ghostly glory. From that moment on we can’t help but root for the pair of them, hoping they find their way to happiness despite the enormous odds stacked against them.

We spend our time split between the first person perspectives of both Lark and Wren, privy to the pros and cons of each of their lives as they prepare for a showdown with a spectacularly monstrous spirit. Lark can be quite abrupt at times, her blunt honesty and single-minded concern for Wren requiring a little getting used to both for us as readers as well as the group of classmates who approach her for help. It’s easy to look past her very to-the-point nature though given what we know of how’s she been treated by friends, family and strangers up until now, and we can do nothing but hope this new group is sincere in their desire for not only her help but also her friendship.

While there are a number of aspects of this story that are left unaddressed by the time we reach the last page, particularly the mystery surrounding Lark and Wren’s unusual bond, they’re the type of questions that give the story legs to stand on moving forward into the next book. The storyline regarding the haunting of Lark’s group of friends and the truly horrifying ghost responsible is wrapped up nicely (if a touch easily) by the time we reach the last page, ensuring we feel as though we’ve read a complete story instead of merely part of one. 


Overall, Sisters of Blood and Spirit is pure fun in a might-need-to-sleep-with-light-on-tonight kind of way, the relationship between Lark and Wren beautifully intriguing, and the promise of deepening friendships and romance in future books enough to have us counting the days until the sequel is in our hands.

Rating: 4/5
 

Find Kady:


This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

23 comments:

  1. It's the first time I hear about this one but it sounds like a nice one. I'll surely wait for more to see how the series continue but it's nice to see you had a good time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this one yet and I love the sound of it. I haven't read a really good paranormal story in quite sometime, so I will have to check this one out. I like that you said you might need to sleep with the light on...than that means I need to read this one during the day then! ha. Thanks for putting this book on my radar, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally see Emilia Clarke on this cover. I don't know why or how... anyway, so excited to read this!! This has been on my radar. I'm in love with the cover and the intriguing blurb. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! This sounds fantastic, Jenny! I think I would DEVOUR this book. I'm so intrigued by the concept and the bond between the two sisters. So is there no clear romance in this installment?
    Lovely review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like it will be a tough emotional read but one that is worth it too! Dang it, I almost grabbed this and then didn't. Now I am kicking myself that I didn't Jenny! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this cover is amaaaazing!! sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this one was not on my radar AT ALL Jenny but i'd be a foul to turn my back on this one. It looks so good and I already know i'm going to absolutely love it.
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, so intriguing! I sort of like the idea of it being a book that will make me leave the light on at night!
    I was wondering about this book before but your review makes me want to add it to the wish list for sure, Jenny! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't sure of this one when I first saw it on NG, but your review has me intrigued. I can't keep any paranormal related stuff on my shelves at my library so I'll order it for my paranormal fans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, this sounds very unusual. I'll have to look for more about it :)
    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just heard of this one today and I have to say that I'm quite intrigued! I do like Kady Cross and the ghost stuff has me very curious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unusual premise. I like a hint of unresolved mystery, especially if it's the kind that breathes life into the story. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that cover and the synopsis is rather intriguing. I'm so glad you liked it! I'll definitely be checking this out :)

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been so curious as to how well the two sisters were voiced, and it sounds very interesting with both perspective. And, I like the sound of the supernatural aspect too in the mystery. I'm going to have to keep my eye on this one.
    Lovely review Jenny!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book looks awesome! I am glad you enjoyed it, and I think the cover is intriguing! Great review!
    I recently did a post on reading multiple books, and it's the start of a new feature of my blog- 'Into the Pensive' Check it out!! http://books4ev.blogspot.com/2015/03/hello.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one sounds like another fabulous read, Jenny! I love the sound of the mystery surrounding the group of friends, and I'm curious how the twins are going to solve it. Lark seems like my kind of girl, too--blunt honesty? Yes please. ;) And being a romance junkie, I'm excited that there's even a slight chance of a romance for the sequel! :D Lovely review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh! Kady Cross has a new novel! Why I didn't know that?! I need to I catch up. I haven't finished Steampunk Chronicles yet, I still need to read The Girl with the Windup Heart!

    Sisters of Blood and Spirit sounds like a good read. Glad you had fun reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Kady Cross's steampunk series, and this sounds so cool! I would have hoped for a bit more description about Wren and Lark's connection, but I'm sure that will come in later books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one is completely new to me and I love the concept! I mean it's kinda creepy, in a "I so need to read this" way! Great review, thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh creeptastic, this sounds like something I would totally enjoy and I loved her Steampunk books, I totally missed this new book from her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed Kady Cross other series so I will be definitely picking up this one.

    ReplyDelete