Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Author Interview: Jennifer Armentrout


I'm beyond thrilled today to welcome author Jennifer Armentrout back to the blog to answer some questions about the latest novel in her Covenant series, Deity. I'm a huge fan of these books, and also more than slightly in love with Aiden, so if you haven't had a chance to pick them up yet, I hope they make their way to the top of your list soon! For me this series just keeps getting better, and Deity had me riveted from action-packed beginning to action-packed end (read my review for both Pure and Deity HERE), so be prepared to set aside a solid block of reading time if and when you pick this one up.

Let’s say Alex, Aiden and Seth are accompanying you to a book signing for Deity. What introductory question might Alex ask each boy so the audience could get to know them better?
 

I’m not sure any question Alex would pick would serve any true purpose other than to amuse her. She would probably ask Seth why he thought he was so awesome and ask Aiden why is he so fascinated with James Bond.

If you had to pick a single scene from any of the books to write from Aiden’s point of view just to get in his head, which would you choose and why?

There’s a certain scene in Deity I’d love to do in his POV. Well, two scenes. One involves Linard and, well, there is another one. 

If you were at the Covenant and had to undergo all the training that Alex and company do to learn to fight and kill Daimons, in what area do you think you’d excel (hand to hand, particular weapon specialty, strategy etc.)?

I would love to say something with knives and daggers, because that sounds super cool, but I know I would suck at that. You should see me playing darts. RUN! I think I would be good at grappling.

Neither Seth nor Alex love the bond between them that allows them to occasionally pick up on the emotional state of the other, but what might each of them say is one positive thing about their connection?

They both would agree it lets each of the know when the other is in trouble—typically. Sometimes distance lessens the bond, but it helps them know if something is going down.

You can bring in one villain from another book for Alex and Aiden to test their mettle against. Who do you think they’d enjoy facing the most, and who would best give the two of them a run for their money?

I would bring in a truck load of demons from any book that had demons running amuck in them. I think both Alex and Aiden would need a lot to test their skills. Outside the demons, I think Alex would enjoy fighting dementors from Harry Potter (did I spell that right???) and Aiden would like to square off against a dragon. He’s got a thing for fire.

What’s your single favorite element of the world you created in the Covenant series?

The society. It’s something that a lot of readers dislike, but they’re supposed to dislike the society. I based it on ancient Greek civilization during the time they worshipped gods. It was a really stratified society that wasn’t fair. It creates the perfect backdrop for the story.

Deity concludes on a rather epic cliffhanger. What book has the most intense cliffhanger you’ve ever read and how long was the wait until the next installment?

Oh gosh, I’m trying to think here. I usually hate cliffhangers… when I’m not writing them. Ha! I can’t think of one, but it always feels like a thousand years before the next one comes out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions Jennifer! More information on Jennifer and her books can be found here:

Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
Buy Deity on Amazon

DEITY 

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

34 comments:

  1. Loved this interview! Jenny I'm Team Aiden too!

    All I have to say to Jennifer is: bad, bad girl!! Leaving us on that cliff! I guess Elixir did lessen the blow, but still. I love this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TEAM AIDEN! *high five* I still need to read Elixir. I fail.

      Delete
  2. Gosh how I love your interview questions Jenny!!! Always fun and unlike any others! And hell yeah, I'd like to see Adrian fight a dragon!

    and holy shit about cliffhangers!!!!! How we hate them, but ... sweet torture is the best I must admit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I complain about cliffhangers all the time, but they do what their supposed to without fail. I'm always counting down the days to the next book whenever I encounter one:)

      Delete
  3. Love your interview questions! I don't know Adrian but I would pay to see anyone fight a dragon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like Aiden I think Felicia - he's quite delicious:)

      Delete
  4. I can guess what the other scene from Deity is that Jen would like to do from Aiden's point of view. ;) I hope one day she will!

    Awesome interview, Jenny and Jennifer! I'm super duper excited for the next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she should just write every book from Aiden's POV, then we'll get both Alex's account of events and Aiden's ;-)

      Delete
  5. I didn't understand half the things you guys were talking about, since I havent read the series yet, BUT, it sounds like fun!! I think i should really start reading it! Lovely interview you both!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give this series a try Farah, I adore it!

      Delete
  6. Loved this interview! I adore Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh. I keep meaning to read Jennifer's books and I keep putting it off. I need to stop doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I really need to pick up these books when I get my TBR down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that about so many series, but somehow the TBR pile only seems to keep growing and never dwindling. Damn all these awesome books coming out!

      Delete
  9. Ha! It's ironic she hates reading cliffhanger but she writes some killer ones herself! Alex sounds like a fun girl! Grappling? No thanks I would pick knife throwing myself! Fun interview Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think I could rock the knife throwing too - I'd pick that just because I wouldn't have to really get close to anyone. I think I'd fail at hand to hand combat:)

      Delete
  10. I think Alex would rock against dementors and even if I couldn't imagine what would her patronus be, I know what Seth's would be: a lion. Somehow this beautiful creature just calls his name since he thinks he is the king of everything and it's in his nature to make his thoughts heard loud and clear. Adore this interview! And I need to read Deity. Like NOW!! I need my copy :((((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think of Deity! I need to read Elixir immediately and then continue stressing over the wait for Apollyon:)

      Delete
  11. CLIFFIE!!! NOOOO! Evil author! Still, love the writing... *sigh* I'm addicted.

    Jenny... *growls* Back off girlie... Aiden is MINE! *growls*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melissa,

      He belongs to me. So sorry. You'll just have to be content with an Aiden-less harem:)

      Love,

      Jenny

      Delete
  12. I skimmed through this review since I haven't picked up this series yet, but from what I read of it, it seems amazing! I definitely need to pick this one up - it seems too good to pass! Wonderful interview, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes really great characters I think, and since I live for great characters, her books work perfectly for me:)

      Delete
  13. Darts have neve been my thing either. I'm always happy when I hit any part of the board. Which is usually not the center. I want to see the dragon battle. When is that going to happen? *stares at the sky*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *stares at sky with you* Here's hoping we get a little dragon action in Apollyon ;-)

      Delete
  14. Awesome interview, Jenny! I've only read Half-Blood yet so this spoiled me a bit, lol. I don't like that this ends with a cliffhanger. I guess I'll have to wait for all the books to be released before reading Pure. ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I tried to keep the questions pretty vague, but it's hard to do sometimes:)

      Delete
  15. I haven't started this series, but once again, such an awesome interview! I bow down to you and your interviewing skills. You are definitely the master!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *does queenly wave* Thank you, thank you, I do try ;-) Glad you enjoyed the interview!

      Delete
  16. I JUST GOT MY HANDS ON THIS ONE! Lol, can you tell I'm excited? Do you have a clue as to which book I'll be reading next? That cliffhanger better not make me upset!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA *imagines Alex fighting off dementors* OMGG THAT'S HILARLIOUS. And AIDEN likes JAMES BOND?! That's pretty..amusing as well, considering he's like a Greed God to me and all :) This is such a fabulous interview<3 I LOVEEE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always ask such great questions! I still need to read Pure but I'm glad I will be able to read both right in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dementors in this series would be AWESOME jen! :)

    I'd love to do some stuff with knives too but my aim is terrible too so I feel your pain

    ReplyDelete